French Onion Soup is probably my most favorite soup if you remove Chinese soups from the list. I could make a meal on a big bowl baked with that crusty Gruyère top. When Kev & Liz came over last week I started this that morning to serve as a course that night.
They key to making a great onion soup is caramelizing the onions. It can take 45 minutes to an hour to do this, but it really gives that rich onion flavor to the soup that everyone looks for. This is the recipe I used but I read through a lot of the reviews and made some adjustments because of it.
- Added some thyme, bay leaves, balsamic vinegar and sugar to the onions while they were caramelizing
- Added the garlic about halfway through the caramelizing instead of the full time
- Used red wine instead of white
- In the future would use low-sodium beef broth only instead of half chicken broth
- Added a little soup base flavoring